• New York State Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section: The Dr. Emanuel Stein and Kenneth D. Stein Memorial Writing Competition; Contact Beth Gould – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Louis Jackson National Law Student Writing Competition in Employment and Labor Law; Contact Professor Martin H. Malin – email@example.com
• The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and the American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law Annual Law Student Writing Competition; Contact Susan Wan – firstname.lastname@example.org
- More Competitions Forthcoming…Check Back Soon!
Previous Scholarship Opportunities
The Law School’s labor and employment law scholarships have included:
- The Dorothy Day Scholarship – Underwritten substantially by Robert J. Nobile ’84, a senior partner at Seyfarth Shaw, this partial tuition merit scholarship is awarded to an entering first-year student who has demonstrated excellence in labor and employment study, employment, internship and service before entering law school.
- The Edwards Wildman and Palmer Prize – Underwritten through the generosity of David Marshall, an Adjunct Professor and Partner with Edward Wildman, this $2,500.00 scholarship is awarded to a student whose writing demonstrates excellence in labor and employment law. The winner will be selected by a panel of faculty.
- The Alan Becker Memorial Scholarship – Initiated by Craig Roberts ’97, Ana Shields ’03, and Christopher Valentino ’00 of Jackson Lewis, this scholarship is awarded each fall to an outstanding second-year student intent on a career in labor and employment law.
- The Boyd Scholarship – Funded through the generosity of Patrick Boyd ’00, senior partner of the Boyd Law Group, this scholarship supports the summer employment of a law student committed to employee rights.
- The Coca-Cola Enterprises Scholarship for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law – Through the leadership of Steve Johnson ’00 and Michael R. Van Aken ’99, this scholarship funds summer employment with the corporate labor and human resources functions of Coca-Cola Enterprises.
- The Pedretti Scholarship – Mark Pedretti ’92, a New York-based partner at Reed Smith, inaugurated this scholarship to support the work of a Junior Fellow at the Center.
- The Borrelli and Associates Scholarship – Underwritten by Michael J. Borrelli ’95, Founding Partner of Borrelli and Associates, for excellence in labor and employment law.
- Monsignor Thomas J. Darby Scholar for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law – This scholarship was made possible by the generosity of Mr. James M. Darby ’84, an honors graduate of the University of Scranton and of the St. John’s Law School, and the nephew of Monsignor Darby.
- Professor Lawrence M. Joseph Scholar for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law – This scholarship is underwritten by John Longmire ’95, a partner at Willkie Farr.
- Louis E. O’Neil Scholar for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law – Terry O’Neil ’70, a partner at Bond Schoeneck and King inaugurated this scholarship in honor of his father.
- Cesar Chavez Memorial Scholarship – Awarded annually beginning in the fall of 2012, to the 3L with the highest academic record in the Labor and Employment law curriculum. This newest scholarship has been generously funded by Professor David L. Gregory, in memory of Cesar Chavez.
External Scholarship Opportunities Include:
- The Samuel M. Kaynard Memorial Student Service Award – awarded by the NYSBA’s Labor & Employment Section, this award enables New York law schools to recognize excellence among their law students in the area of labor and employment law and to cultivate the relationship between the Labor and Employment Law Section and future labor and employment practitioners.
- Peggy Browning Fund Fellowships: Click Here for More Information